Junior Application Engineer
Are you excited to help shape the future of battery technology and consequently the future of consumer electronics and mobility? Do you have the engineering wit do drive customer success from a technical perspective? Can you not wait to dive in to a rapidly growing clean tech scale-up with the ambition to change the world?
As LeydenJar's battery technology matures and reaches qualification in more and more markets, LeydenJar is looking for ambitious application engineers to work with its clients towards integrating its pure silicon anode foils into real world battery systems. Within the context of LeydenJar's Product division, you will be facing clients on a daily basis to guide them through e.g. battery proof of concept projects and joint development projects. Work in this sense ranges from translating client desires into battery specs, working with LeydenJar's lab, R&D and production teams to meet these requirements, work with third party battery cell manufacturers and supporting the business development team with technical input. You will draft up test plans, qualify novel battery materials, build-up production infrastructure, build battery cells, etc. As you grow in the job, you are rapidly enabled to take ownership over technical projects with increasingly big scopes.
As an application engineer, you are passionate about translating R&D results into real world applications and you get excited from working with clients in complex, multi stakeholder groups to help them implement our battery technology. Implementing novel battery technology is a multi-faceted problem that requires insights into electrochemistry for battery cell design, transferring these designs into large scale manufacturing lines (up to GWh scale) and advising clients on integrating resultant batteries into their end products. Added to this, you can also expect plenty opportunities to work on LeydenJar's business development and support in R&D projects. Finally, you will also take a role in lab management, quality control, metrology development and process development.
- You are highly passionate about both deep tech and clean tech and you want to make your mark on a fast growing scale-up company.
- You have an Msc. or PhD degree in physics, chemistry or materials science with demonstrable affinity with electrochemistry (required) or li-ion batteries (preferred).
- You have 0-5 years of working experience.
- You will have a key role in the process of getting our anodes into real-world applications. This is not an R&D role - we need a hands-on 'getting things done' mindset. you will set clear product specs in conjunction with our R&D and production teams and you will translate these specs into concise customer communications.
- You will be the 'technical conscience' of our client integration projects. As such, you're energized by frequent and deep client contacts.
- You're a team player with excellent people skills and a strongly analytical approach to problem solving. Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances is key.
- You have an eye for detail and strive for excellence in everything you do - ranging from drafting a test plan for our lab team or a presentation for our clients.
- You strongly relate to LeydenJar's core values of entrepreneurship, openness and data-driven decision making.
- Fluency in English is a must, proficiency in Dutch is a plus.
What can you expect from us?
- Unique experience in a rapidly scaling VC-backed start-up environment. We grew from 5 to 50 people in past 3 years and we plan to triple in size again the next 18 months. This means we have a highly dynamic working environment with lots of room to grow.
- Chance to work on potentially world-changing technology that can be a game changer to a range of industries and a key enabler for the energy transition.
- At LeydenJar, you'll become an expert in next generation anodes, ranging from the materials level (characterization), to cell testing (mostly electrochemical methods), li-ion cell design and cell manufacturing. You'll be able to learn the tricks of the trade from some of the brightest minds in the industry.
- Be part of a young, ambitious, innovative and entrepreneurial team with lots of emphasis on taking responsibilities and developing initiatives. You'll be part of a highly international team (14+ nationalities in 50 people team). Moreover, LJT very regularly hosts fun activities with colleagues, ranging from Friday drinks, to cooking, nerding over battery tech and outdoors activities.
- Full time position, based in Leiden. You will start on a 1y contract that can become an indefinite term contract.
- After a phone screening, the application procedure will likely consist of two rounds. People that you might meet during this process include Ewout Lubberman (hiring manager / division head), Tom Homewood, Ashley Cooke, Tim Aanhane and Christian Rood.
- We will be gathering resumes up until 31 August 2022, after which we will start the interview process. Starting dates are flexible, but preferably soon. Applicants that do not seriously answer the screening questions will not be considered.